17 February 2009

British Sea Power and The Seal Cub Clubbing Club




Kathleen and I never really get too into Valentine’s Day. In the past we usually have not been around each other and flowers would suffice. However one year, I received the classic heart-shaped box of chocolates which were absolutely amazing because they were from Lake Champlain Chocolates. Last year we decided to spend this annual night of romance at a fondue micro-brewed beer tasting event at out favourite local bar in Somerville: The Independent. (This bar is always playing great music and they have Brooklyn Lager on tap so if you are ever in the area). Our aim was to meet our neighbours, but we just kind of got drunk and laughed a lot.

This year, I found out that a band I like was playing so I convinced Kathleen to buy tickets 4 weeks before the show. I am a bit neurotic with these types of things and am always convinced something will sell out, so she obliged by getting us tickets. The band we were going to see is called British Sea Power. I first heard of them years ago while living in Vermont with Colin and I have listened to them off and on, since. I was surprised to find out that they are actually from the Lakes District up in Cumbria which is where New Balance has one of our factories. So I was really looking forward to seeing this ‘local’ show.


We spent the few hours before the show at home, having America Night. This consisted of cooking Mexican food and drinking Corona. Kathleen has perfected a method of slow cooking chicken in spices so that it just kind of falls apart and is perfect for burritos. It was almost too good in that by the time we were ready to go we were sufficiently stuffed. We ended up getting to the show a bit early and caught one of the opening acts: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club. It is super rare that I go to a show and like the opening bands. I am one of those people that need to listen to bands a few times through before I can pass judgement. However, I was pleasantly surprised by these guys. First of all, their name is just kind of awesome. Their songs are super diverse and their singer has a pretty wide range of vocals. You can listen to them here. You should listen to the second song ‘Secrets.’

In between acts, we checked out the merch table and Kathleen laughed as I bought a t-shirt, poster and tea mug. I have not bought merchandise at a show in years, but I was not ashamed. I am toying with the idea of not wearing only black tee-shirts any longer and bought nice baby blue one. I bought a concert poster that fits a frame we have perfectly and consequently looks amazing in our living room this very minute. Finally, British Sea Power have a series of tea mugs that they sell and this one was rad because it was red and had a bear on it. Kathleen immediately absconded said mug and has been calling it ‘her’ mug ever since.

After a couple of Tuborgs, the band took the stage and played for about an hour or so. They were pretty amazing right of the bat and played for about an hour or so. I suck at describing music so I won’t really try to here. All I can say is that listening to this show made me think about cold rainy coastlines, World War II, the British ‘identity’, bombed out cities, and thinking. Whatever. You can listen for yourself here. So in short, the show was awesome. If you ever get the chance to go see them do it. You will enjoy your self. And if you can’t go see them, listen to their music on a rainy night, by a fire, with a glass of scotch.

Oh and as a side note about the whole Valentine’s thing. Kathleen outdid herself this year by having a box of not only chocolate but beer as well sent to me at work. It is Green and Blacks, is organic, and was absolutely, ridiculously delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to point out that by licking the mug (and having to hold it and the poster for the next 3 hours) it did become mine.

    ReplyDelete